Monday, May 12, 2014

I'm a slacker

Or I just don't have a lot of time... I'm going to go with that.  I don't remember feeling so rushed at night when Hunter was a baby, but during that time I was working in the schools and leaving work no later than 3:30.  Now I'm getting off at 5, picking two kiddos up, then heading home.  We get home around 6:30ish, I fix dinner, Carl and I get the boys ready for bed, pack lunches, make bottles for the night, and every other night I'm either washing diapers or stuffing them (not complaining because I absolutely love cloth diapering).

I digress....

This little guy was 2 months old in this picture (and Hunter likes to join in on the fun).  He will be 3 months old in 3 days.  So much for monthly updates.  Sorry Gavin.  I call it "second baby syndrome".  Are you alive?  Have you been fed?  Is your diaper clean?  You're good!  At his 2 month check up, he was 13 pounds, 1 ounce and 23.82 inches long.  His head circumference was 42 cm.  What percentile ranks was he in each you ask?  I didn't exactly write that down, but if I chart it correctly on the CDC website, for his head he is between the 90th and 95th, his weight is 84th, and his height is 93rd (which sounds about right to me when I try to recall what the nurse practitioner said).  Gavin is drinking 4 ounces every 3 hours, give or take, and was waking up once a night for a feed.  He is a chatty little thing!  I don't remember Hunter being so vocal.  He has wonderful eye contact and loves to giggle (just not very much for me) and smile.  He unfortunately has terrible eczema, so so much worse than Hunter has ever had it.  It covers his whole body.

Gavin also landed us in the emergency department the week before last.  Tuesday Carl said he barely slept and was super cranky.  He slept 9 hours that night!  Mommy did not.  I woke up a few times and had to make sure he was breathing!  This child does not miss a feeding!  Wednesday he was fussy for Ashley and started sounding congested.  That night I noticed some retracted breathing so Thursday morning we went straight to the pediatrician's office.  His pulse ox was good so they gave him a breathing treatment which helped some.  Diagnosed with bronchiolitis. Told me if he spiked a fever to bring him back.  Of course this happened at 3 am Friday and the triage nurse wanted us to go to the ED to be seen.  After a deep suction, a breathing treatment, getting a urine sample from a catheter (yeah, that was fun), and constant monitoring (we were there 4 hours), we were headed home just to head back to the pediatrician's office in an hour.  They discovered an ear infection with puss (so I have no idea how the ED staff missed that one) and we were put on antibiotics.  I'm pretty sure Gavin maybe got 3 days worth of the medicine.  I've never seen a baby spit medicine out so fast!  Stinker stinker!

Hunter was a trooper through it all!  He started to ask to go home around 6 am, so Carl called Meemaw Swann around 7 and she came and stayed with him at the house.  She then took him for a sleepover so Carl and I could sleep while Gavin did.  We slept most of the day and it was glorious!

My BFF Ashley started a community garden on her church property.  I've never gardened before, but purchased a plot.  She has been helping guide me.  Last Thursday I took the three kids (we watch Ashley's daughter for her on Tuesdays and Thursdays and she watches Gavin Monday, Wednesday, Friday) to the plot and we planted our food!  I have tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, strawberries, watermelon, and something else that I can't remember what it is, but it is growing in the dirt.  Ashley gave me some potatoes to plant this afternoon so they are now in the dirt as well.  Hopefully I have a little bit of a green thumb and we get some good veggies!  Interested in a plot?!  Here is the link to Dig.Grow.Eat.

Saturday I attended a baby shower in honor of one of my other BFFs that I grew up with.  We are so excited because our little guys will grow up together like we did.  She would like to keep her privacy so no pictures of her in her pregnancy glory will be posted.  She received a ton of awesome things!  Her little man is going to be super loved and super spoiled!  One of the girls I grew up with had a baby a few weeks after I had Gavin and was also at the baby shower.  We were able to get a picture together with our kiddos.

On Mother's Day my car broke down with all of us in it.  Womp womp.  I'm not going to attempt to explain what parts aren't working, but the computer in the car thought something wasn't running properly for the engine and thus shut the whole car down (even though nothing was wrong, it just stopped reading).  Luckily, my dad came to the rescue, had our car towed to his shop, and had us over for dinner.  My mom was also super gracious and let us borrow her car (thanks Mom!) while it is being repaired.  The rest of the day was uneventful and I got to spend it with my boys.

Hopefully I will be on the ball and post Gavin's 3 month update on time.  Fingers crossed!

No comments: